09 May 2009

The Soloist

starring Robert Downey, Jr. and Jamie Foxx

The Arizona Foundation for Women had a fundraiser on Thursday night. They raise money to fund lots of different projects that benefit women who have left domestic violence relationships.

Sure, it's a good cause, and sure, it's a great way to network with women in different careers, but the real reason I went is because the reception part of the event was held at Tiffany's, and there were door prizes. Sadly, I won none. I did, however, purchase a bracelet (well, my mom purchased a bracelet for me).

At any rate, following the reception, there was a private showing of The Soloist. I'll admit that I was tempted to leave before the movie (this was a Thursday night, after all, and work has been really hectic lately, and I was exhausted). But I decided to stick around, and I'm glad I did.

This is one of those based-on-a-true-story movies that is meant to be inspirational and uplifting -- and it is. Jamie Foxx's character, Nathaniel Anthony Ayers, Jr., was enrolled in Juilliard before his schizophrenia got the better of him, causing him to drop out, become homeless, and wander the streets of LA pushing a buggy full of various and sundry belongings. And a violin. And eventually a cello.

Robert Downey, Jr.'s character is a disillusioned journalist, looking for his next big story. He finds both a story and a friend in Nathaniel and quickly has to wrestle his own personal issues once he begins to feel responsible for helping him.

Yeah, sure, it's predictable, but I left feeling a little happier than when I'd gone in. And because I'm a softy, I'll admit that I cried a little bit. I laughed a lot, too, though...turns out that crazy people are hysterical.

No comments:

Post a Comment